Why Broadband Matters
Reliable, affordable Internet access is important for all residents and brings numerous benefits to our community. In the twenty-first century, high-speed Internet is no longer a luxury but rather an essential utility.
Having a reliable broadband network in Plainfield offers numerous advantages, including:
- Many home buyers and renters will only consider a property that has broadband available.
- Work-from-home jobs and small home-based business ventures become attractive and possible options.
- Bundling phone and Internet services together can lower your household costs.
- Online banking services allow you to access your financial records, make deposits, and transfer funds at any time.
- Plainfield’s children will be on a level playing field with students across the state who already have access to broadband, which allows them to complete research and access homework assignments from home.
- Parents are increasingly expected to access children’s school information online.
- Adults and children can use the unlimited resources available for online learning opportunities, including continuing education courses and degree programs.
- Residents can be notified about emergencies and access information critical to our safety and well-being.
- First responders can send and received critical voice, video, and data information.
- Town health and safety volunteers can receive online continuing education and certification.
- Residents can communicate directly with our own health care providers, including specialists.
- Patients can receive quality medical care and monitoring remotely, allowing elderly residents to stay in their own homes longer.
- Residents can access basic health information online, including support groups.
Quality of Life
- Stay informed about town and community events.
- Stream movies, television, and other online media.
- Pursue hobbies.
- Stay connected with friends and family across the country and around the globe.
Even if you don’t use the Internet yourself, there’s a compelling reason to support building a broadband network in Plainfield: home values. Many town residents have already encountered difficulty selling or renting their homes because fewer people are willing to move somewhere lacking adequate Internet service. Research shows that if high-speed Internet isn’t available when it comes time to sell your home, you’ll get 20 percent less than you would otherwise.